Sixed: Perry Sanders

Rev. Dr. Perry Sanders currently serves as Senior Pastor at the First Baptist Church of Lafayette where he's served for 47 years. Earlier this year, Dr. Sanders stepped aside as Pastor and took on the role of Senior Pastor.

#1- How did you get your start in ministry? [If you didn't start locally, please include how you got to Acadiana.]
At age 16 as a sophomore in college in Tennessee, I remained in my room while my roommates went to class and prayed to the Lord. I told him I would do exactly what He wanted me to do if He would just reveal it to me, and it was as if Jesus spoke directly and personally to me. I immediately left campus for the weekend. My first sermon I preached was seven minutes long down in Tennessee. The seven-minute sermon caused several young teenagers who were in the pool hall to come forward and accept Christ. From that day until now, I've faithfully preached the Gospel for 62 years.

#2- What is the hardest thing about leading a church / ministry?
It's not really difficult if you love the Lord, love the people, and use good sense.

#3- What do you do to relax?
I read, I get a good night's sleep, I play golf, I go fishing and hunting, I go skiing, and I do other things that don't interfere with my activities at the church.

#4- How do you think the Church in Acadiana will have changed in 25 years?
Presumably, that' s a prophetic idea. I have an idea that it will change much for the better. We have a marvelous pastor in Dr. Steve Horn. He's intelligent, he's extremely knowledgeable, he has a good head on him, he knows how to deal with people, and he believes the Bible -- all of it. And he is a wonderful leader, so I feel like the church will probably double or triple in the next 25 years.

#5- What advice would you give the next generation of church / ministry leaders in Lafayette?
I'd give them the same advice that you see above -- walk with Jesus, pray every day, read the Bible every day, stay deep in the Word, be a man of absolute and total integrity, clear and unmistakable morality in every way. Cooperate, stay a part of the team in every way.

#6- In your walk with Jesus Christ, what has He been teaching you lately? [Please include prayer requests if you'd like]
It probably is patience. I've always been able to control my emotions, but it seems that with the passing of years, that I'm more able to understand people's difficulties and problems and so forth.

WORD ASSOCIATION

Holy Spirit
Constant guide and leader of everything I try to do.

Cell Phone
Yes, I've had a phone for years in my vehicle and now in my pocket.

Gospel
Good news.

Rap Music
Probably bad. The rhythm is bad. Most of the lyrics of the rap music are bad. They reflect profanity, vulgarity, and inanity in the public spectrum. Probably not very good.

Hymnal
Good. It has songs that are not only old and respected, but it has some new songs, also.

Pat Robertson
He's probably done a lot of good things, but if he could remain to be quiet a bit more, it would probably be better because he's getting a lot of flak and criticism for some of the off-the-wall things he's said.

Prayer
I pray every day and ask the Lord's leadership. When I wake up in the morning , I salute and report in for duty and try to do the best I can to serve Him.

3 comments:

MELackey said...

Drew, thanks for posting this. I was just sitting here thinking about Bro Perry, hoping that maybe this weekend I'll get to introduce my son to the man that introduced me to Jesus. I decided to Google Bro Perry and came across your blog entry.

Was it hard to sit with him and only ask six questions?

I was lucky enough to get to spend some time with him on several occasions. One thing I can say is that the man is the real deal.

Drew Caperton said...

Mark,

I actually e-mailed him the questions, and I really didn't expect him to answer. To my surprise, he was candid, forthright, and opinionated. I respect him a great deal, also.

Jimmy said...

I had the honor of sitting by Dr. Sanders on a flight from Co to Dallas this week. I asked him this question, "If you could say one thing to a young preacher, what would it be?" He smiled and said, "Preach the Bible and win souls!" I knew I was in the presence of a special man. Just thought I would share.