10 years

A little over a week ago, I attended my very first, last, and best 10-year high school reunion that the 1995 Comeaux High School Reunion Committee will ever put together. Only a few years ago, I would have avoided this kind of thing, but I was really excited and anxious to see everyone again.

With John Mayer's "No Such Thing" playing in my head, I had notions of busting down the double doors, but no such thing happened. I met up with many old friends at the football game, and it was absolutely great to see each of them.

I didn't have a ton of friends in high school [self-deprecating comment here], but a lot of people knew of me. When your whole social life of the church youth group crumbles just before your senior year, you tend to make new friends. Those friends I made senior year were still great to talk with today. They said I looked the same as I did 10 years ago.

There was a lot of pain there also. Many [over 2/3 of the people I spoke with] were already divorced, many of those had children they barely saw. A friend of mine that I knew got pregnant right out of high school brought her 9-year-old son, and she was happily expecting her next. The father of her first child had committed suicide years ago. He was an upperclassman and they met in the art class I had with both of them. To go back and think about what was brewing is incredible sometimes.

I joined everyone for the after-party at Stan's downtown [that's right, the elder went clubbin'] where many people proceeded to get extremely drunk. I tried Red Stripe but didn't care for it [to this date, I've had many beers, but STILL have never purchased one for myself, hilarious!]. That's when it hit me: I've changed so much in 10 years.

I think that was the best part of my high school reunion- realizing how much I'd changed. I was more comfortable in my own skin, not always afraid of what others were thinking of me. Some people there were still playing the same game of popularity to feed their insecurities, but the ones who weren't, let's just say there was a noticeable difference in behavior. I even had a knowing look or two from some friends that communicated, "yep, some of us still haven't grown up."

Another best part of the reunion was Kristy and I praying beforehand for God to bring people to Himself through relationships that got rekindled that night. One guy I had totally forgotten about was still in town and we had an absolutely marvelous time talking. He even pulled me aside and let me know he was searching for something. Insane. God really answered the prayer in a big way.

So, here's to 10 years, may the same ten people stay in every person's pictures for all the reunions to come...

2 comments:

Dr. A said...

Very cool that you went in with a humbled heart and eyes to see. May God bless in rekindling friendships for the furtherance of his kingdom.

Oh...and you are such a pagan for drinking a beer. ;)

-ajb

Brandon said...

Whatever, me and Dr. A went to the bar last night and got DRUNK and then some biker guy beat the crap out of him.

Just Kidding......I wasn't there :)

Congrats on the 10 year. Props for having the baseballs to go. On your 25 year high school reunion, can I go in your place, see if anyone notices a difference. I can get one of those sweet pair of "reading glasses" that have a camera in them and I'll wear an ear piece. You will be in the van (no, the Ferrari) our back watching and telling me what to say! YEAH! Those would be good times.