listening to a 6th grader...

At my work, we have a Board of Directors. This board is made up of prominent business men and women from around the area. Our Board President, a distinguished and upstanding member of the community, made a speech this morning that was probably the worst I've heard since I took my Intro to Public Speaking class in college. I leaned over because to let a co-worker know that it was like listening to a 6th grader give his first speech. Long pauses, fumbled words, vague references, and general unpreparedness highlighted this great man's efforts to introduce the keynote speaker of the morning. And I don't call him a "great man" out of sarcasm, the guy's a terrific guy and he's CEO of his very established 100+ employee business. To say that it was a surprise watching him blow the layup like that is an understatement. It was a gimmie, a 3-inch putt, and he tripped up. Seriously man, all there was to do was to was introduce a speaker. You could have said three sentences and everyone would have been satisfied with that...

On a lighter note, Dad is definitely coming into Lafayette late next Thursday night and staying through Saturday around noon-ish... maybe, not quite sure when he's leaving. When I said in a previous post that I wasn't that excited about Dad coming in, I only meant that I was down about having to work a half-day of my dad's visit, not semi-excited about him coming in specifically. Just had to clear that up...

Personally, I'm feeling a bit cluttered lately. My car is cluttered, the house is feeling that way a bit [although it feels more crowded than cluttery], and I believe my life is cluttered and crowded, too. I hope the new roof on the addition of the house [woo hoo!] will open up some space not only with the house, but with my life.

0 comments: