Five o'clock in the morning

I truly believe God is dealing with me about my schedule. This is probably where I'm the weakest right now. "Making time" for anything has changed a lot over the last eight months. In January, my commute to work changed from an hour to an hour and a half, less time. In April, I was unemployed, more time. In May, I was semi-employed at Gap Kids, less time, but still lots of time. In June, Riley was born and Vox started, less time. In July, I began working 40 hours a week on top of doing Vox work, less time. And last but not least, I got a Gamecube in July, less time (although harder to justify).

Out of that roller coaster, God has been talking to me through dear friends about how I'm spending my time. Usually my motto is "as long as I'm producing results, don't bother me." But that isn't something my 8-week-old daughter can comprehend. It's also something my 19-month-old son doesn't get, especially when I'm playing Gamecube instead of spending time with him. The concept of results just doesn't work with relationships really. And the one feeling it most is my wife.

And since I blogged long ago about video games being Satan or happiness, I thought it would be appropriate to blog about the results. Video games are neither, for me they are a distraction. For a while I stayed away, but I had a genuine curiosity and have been trying to understand the nature of and possible needs for distractions. I heard a pastor say yesterday that every once in a while, he needs to escape. He went on and said we all needed it, right? I'm just not sure.

What I am sure about is that the last thing I need is distraction, at least, that's all I can see now. The reason I say God has been "dealing" with me is because I have been waking up around 5:00 for the past couple of mornings and in my slumberous stupor I imagine God telling me it's time to get up. In fact, I think it's been 5:11 exactly both mornings. He's been pointing me toward this in other ways too, but I'll spare you the details. I think ultimately, I'm hearing God tell me it's time to grow up some more. Giving up the Gamecube will be something I'll be glad I did later.

So, I'm going to have to do something with my Gamecube besides play it. So, it's either sell it, give it away, throw it away, store it away, or pray for Holy fire to come down from heaven and obliterate it. The last option seems the most entertaining...

2 comments:

Dallas said...

Snice you didn't ask for it and nuerology is usually pointless, here's some numerical significance of 5:11, according to http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Oracle/4134/biblenumbers.html .

5 = Grace
11 = Judgement

Drew Caperton said...

Graceful judgement. I'm going to have to chew on that for a while...