conviction in reading...



I just got done with a book called Simpler Living, Compassionate Life by Michael Schut. It's a compilation of many authors on the subjects of simplicity, social justice, eco-justice, community, etc. I'd give it an 8.5 out of 10 and I would cautiously recommend it. It's got great ideas concerning real, responsible, practical life change toward the subjects listed above. The problem comes in with some authors' overzealous theology concerning equality among the earth and humanity and equality in every detail, including roles, with which I don't agree.

There was also a lot of good in the book and God used it to convict me on a few issues...

  • We are called by God in the Bible to have dominion over the earth (Gen 1:28). This means we're in charge of the earth and responsible for it's well-being.
  • The role of government has to do with the good of the whole of society "...justice for all." By remaining neutral (my previous stance) I stand ambivalent at best, opposed at worst, toward the needs of society at large.
  • We are called to stand for and help those who are socioeconomically vulnerable. The Bible uses the fatherless, the widow, and the alien as it's examples (Deut 24:19; Zech7:10). I would also throw in the insane, the physically disabled, and the elderly, in this category because "vulnerable" changes as the society changes.
  • Like Jesus emulated, I am called to spend time in solitude with God. Moreover, I am called to an abundant life which isn't focused on self-interest/productivity/achievement, but on abiding in God (John 15).

Like Paul, the scales are being removed from my eyes and I can now see the truth that in my nation, my backyard, and my home there is oppression of the poor, the greater need for quiet, an ambivalence toward others, and the global threat of trashing the earth we're supposed to have responsible dominion over.

So, now begins my journey to walk in this truth accordingly...I hope this doesn't make me a libruhl.

0 comments: