doorway into my heart

A moment of transparency...

I completely resonate with a few lines from "Happy is a Yuppie Word" off of Switchfoot's Nothing is Sound. There's part in the chorus that says "I'm running down a life that won't cash out." I have spent so much time running down things that don't live up to what I thought they were. Now more than ever before, I feel on course to run down a life that won't cash out.

The bridge carries the thought further:
"I'm looking for an orphanage
Looking for a bridge I can't burn down
I don't believe the emptiness
Looking for the Kingdom coming down"

God's Kingdom reality, the only things that's real, is probably the biggest change in focus that I've gone through in my life thus far. It didn't start with this CD, probably more like a year and a half ago at a conference I went to and a book I read and the people I met. It started as I began to see the holes, the cashing out, in the life I was living.

The greatest moment in realizing your worst fears is discovering there's a hope on the other side.

As Switchfoot recites Jesus's words, "Blessed is the man who's lost it all..."

Sidenote: As Kristy and I are sitting down flipping channels on Sunday, we come across a preacher opening a new series called "How to be Happy..." without missing a beat, Kristy begins to sweetly sing "...happy is a yuppie word." Amen, Kristy.

1 comments:

Lafe said...

Transparency is so post-modern...

The thing about fear is this, sometimes it can help keep you alive, sometimes it can kill you. I know you are feeling pressure right now, but you know what, y'all will make it. I have faith in you. But not the Saints, once again I will be disappointed in too many turnovers.